Owners with dogs knows how dealing with skin allergies in their pets can be difficult. It is not possible always to find out whether your dog suffers from skin allergies or not, until you have given your dog the food. Vets are of the opinion that grains in dog food is not a good idea. Many dogs have allergies to grains like oats, rye, corn, wheat, barley and soy. So any dog food that has any of these ingredients will mean danger for your dog. But, how are you going to know that your dog is at all suffering from any skin allergies? Following are some of the symptoms to look out for in your dog. If your furry friend shows any of the signs, then you can be convinced that your dog has skin allergies, and the only option is to choose for the best grain free dog food for skin allergies.
Following are the signs to note in your dog apparently having skin allergies:
- Excessive hair loss
- Bald patches
- Sore and scabs
- Inflamed skin
So, what is grain free dog food?
Any dog food that does not consist corn, rice, wheat and other grains is to be deemed as grain free. However, since dogs are in the need of some carbohydrate, that is why grain free dog food are often infused with carbs like pea flour and potatoes. Dogs who are prone to have skin allergies, but yet still need their nutritional intake fulfilled should be provided with grain free dog food.
Following are the benefits of choosing grain free dog food:
- When you are giving grain free dog food to your pet, the dog will eat less of the food for the same amount of nutrients. So, if your canine friend is overweight, then it might be a good choice for such dogs.
- Grain free dog food will keep your pet full for a long time and required in less quantity, the cost of buying grain free dog food is also less.
- It is a safer choice, because the food does not contain anything that can cause allergies. As an alternative, there can be vegetables and fruits that can make up for the loss.
How to shop for the best grain free dog food
If you are shopping for the best grain free dog food for skin allergies, then there are certain things you need to look out for:
- While shopping for grain free dog food, look through the ingredients list. Just glance a look through the first 6 to 7 ingredients. Make sure that the list consists of at least one protein source.
- Even if it is a grain free dog food, then it should also be apt for your dog’s size and age. Keep that in mind for sure.
- Choose a good brand and see whether it has a good track record.
As a last note, it is important to get in touch with your vet, and ask for recommendations and advice. Whether you should have regular dog food or grain free dog food, it is a dietary decision that is crucial and needs to be done carefully.